April 15, 2009

Keeping Up With Current Fashion

So, this week is “field trip week”. We went to the dairy farm on Monday of this week. We saw lots of cows and some sheep that were just four hours old. We also got to drink fresh squeezed dairy milk and homemade cheese with crackers. Yum. On Thursday we are having a bus tour around Addis, which should be rather exciting. Today (Tuesday), however, we went to the hair salon as part of our social studies unit on fashion in order to investigate the current, popular hairstyles in Ethiopia. Well, I guess I failed to mention that the hairstyles in Ethiopia are much different from those in the United States. We were all a little reluctant at first, me especially, but we finally decided that we’d better try to blend in with the crowd. Hence, the new hairstyles:



Sophia [modeling the newest hairclips and ribbon look] & Kate [modeling the “hairy, scary monster-under-the-bed” look]



Midian & Elshaddai [both of which are modeling versions of the big and fluffy hair look]



Travis [modeling the infamous old guy bald spot…which I guess you can’t really see. But just picture my dad], Nathan [modeling the colored Mohawks], and Isaac [modeling the regular Mohawks]




Riina [modeling the wired, bendy braids], and Brayden and Jackson [both modeling the popular, male Mohawks]




Elshaddai, Furra, and Naomi [all with the big and fluffy hair looks]




Me and Riina. I was told that it’s the latest fad to stick objects randomly throughout messy buns. So the kids stuffed my hair with rulers, pencils, paintbrushes, pens, metal stars, forks, tin foil, ribbon, metal chains, adapter plugs, crayons, a name tag, and the letter “E”. –seriously, all of that fit!




Ya know, it’s really hard to get a group picture with 17 first graders who are all looking at the camera and holding a sign up in such a way that it doesn’t cover their face. But I tried…

If you can actually read what we’re trying to spell out in that picture, then you know not to take me seriously…ever.

What do you think?
-Nicole

2 comments:

Dad said...

I have a bald spot?I guess I can't see it.

mary said...

Hi Nicole, I can't wait to see you, I have enjoyed all your blogs. yes that was a great way to explain that hair do,by giving your Dad as an example lol. Love Mary :0)