April 13, 2009

Marriage Advice from First Grade

Since Cary will be gone next week at a conference (she’s going to miss my last few days in Ethiopia entirely), we decided to have a class good-bye party this week. In order to make this party “highly educational” we decided to incorporate one of my favorite authors [Dr. Seuss] and one of my favorite books [Horton Hears a Who]. We also threw in, just for kicks, one of my favorite foods [ice cream sundaes]. While at this party, I was presented with some very precious gifts. I suspected that the class was up to no good when I got kicked out of school for the entire day on Thursday…but I had no idea what they were making.

First, the class made me a bowl that is completely covered with thumb print pictures from every student:



Second, the kids wrote and illustrated a book for me that is filled with teaching advice AND….marriage advice! I am seriously considering putting this out at our reception just so everyone can enjoy what these kids had to say because it is absolutely hysterical. But here are a few of my favorite quotes:

“Make sure you have flower girls and make sure you don’t cry when you kiss David on the lips. And I want you to worship God and try not to sin, please. When you’re married I want you not to fight with David.” –Furra



“You should always remember not to run away.” –Iabes



“Just kiss the groom!!!” –Kate



“If you get married, kiss your husband very much. To be a good wife, never leave your husband. Never get very angry with your husband. If you choose your husband, make sure he trusts God.” –Nathan



“When you get married, don’t forget that if the wedding dress rips then say to your husband, ‘my dress is ripped’ and cover it.” -Elshaddai


Also, everyone made ‘Cat and the Hat’ hats to wear for our celebration:



…including Lily, Cary’s kitten:

2 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

HaHaHa....what good advice! :)
and you all look wonderful in your Cat And The Hat hat's! :)
You certainly had a Great Adventure Abroad that you will always remember! I enjoyed all your stories so much but I have to say, I am looking forward to seeing you home Safely!
Love you
Aunt Becky

Anonymous said...

Dear Nicole,
Great class great advice. I love you. Safe flight. See ya.
LOVE
Mom xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxooxooxooxoxoxoxoxoox