November 28, 2014

That Awkward 'Estimation Winner' Moment

     Aliyah and I had our first outing that did not involve a doctors appointment the other day. My third graders have been anxiously awaiting a visit. Since I was already planning on going to GWA for a rfissa celebration in honor of Aliyah (yes, another one), I figured it was the ideal day to visit my class as well.

     A month before Aliyah's birth, I designed a mini-math project which revolved around one of their favorite topics to talk about at the time: baby Grudda's arrival. The students estimated the date and time of Aliyah's birth. Dates had to be recorded in two ways, based on what we had learned in math previously in the year. Likewise, they had to write their estimated time both digitally and using an analog clock. The students also had to estimate her weight (using the American weight scale) and her name. After everyone made their estimations I split the class into three groups, based on their math abilities. Each group was assigned the task of collecting data from our estimation calendar and graphing the results. As an added incentive for motivation throughout this mini-project, the students knew that the individual whose estimation was the closest to baby Grudda's actual birthday would be the first and only third grade student to hold her when I came to visit.


    None of my students guessed November 12th.... but the closest estimation went to the boy who guessed she would be born November 13th. Naturally, this winning student also happens to be the one person in my class who hates photos and doesn't know how to smile. I found this to be especially hysterical:

Love my class :)

-Nicole

No comments: